The National Financial Inclusion Unit’s (NFIU) primary role as mandated under CBSI Act 2012 is to promote financial inclusion in Solomon Islands. NFIU was first established in 2011 and according to CBSI structure, it comes under the Governors department.
Its secondary role is to act as a secretariat office for the National Financial Inclusion Taskforce (NFIT), a body approved under Cabinet to act as an oversight agent in the implementation of the financial inclusion medium term national action plan (2011 -2015). Currently NFIU is on phase II of the National Financial Inclusion Strategy NFIS –II
Download a summery of the Journey of Financial Inclusion in Solomon Islands
Roles & Responsibility
- Mandated to act as a secretariat to the National Financial Inclusion Taskforce (NFIT).
- To make sure that stakeholders implements NFIS 2 action plans and archive its mission and objectives.
- To plan and coordinate course of actions and oversee strategies of the National Action Plan on Financial Inclusion in Solomon Islands.
- Coordinating and expanding all financial inclusion initiatives of the Bank for the benefit of Solomon Islanders with regards to financial literacy and access to financial services.
- Provide financial literacy training and awareness.
- Coordinate and act as a secretariat to the working groups of the NFIT – Digital Financial Working Group (DFWG) Micro Small Medium Enterprises Working Group(MSMEWG) Consumer Empowerment Working Group (CEWG) and Insurance Industry Working Group (IIWG)