FINANCIAL INCLUSION STRATEGy: 2021-2025
Ensure all Solomon Islanders have access to a range of quality and affordable financial services and products and be competent to use them to increase their resilience and improve their livelihood within the growing digital economy.
To achieve the vision, NFIS3 has set two nationals goals to be met by 2025;
- Increase active users of financial accounts from 283,954 to 400,000 – of which 50 percent would be women; and
- increase the number of access points from 825 to 1155
Key Priority Areas
1. Access to financial services
2. Usage of financial services
3. Financial Literacy & Consumer Protection
4. Data & Measurement Framework
1. Amplify the reach and quality of digital fi nancial services, products, and channe
2. Improve and promote MSME fi nance
3. Include women, youth and rural adults as fully engaged participants in the national financial sector
4. Build financial resilience in households and communities
5. Build financial empowerment in ways that are motivating, actionable and relevant to daily life.
6. Develop and Implement Data & Measurement Framework
The Third National Financial Inclusion Strategy (NFIS3) is premised on the G20 Principles for Innovative Financial Inclusion following the expiration of the second strategy in 2020. It has a five-year time frame with the work plans anticipated to complete by 2025.
The NFIS 3 is informed by the findings of the NFIS 2 review, inputs from consultations with key public and private sector entities including provinces, and development agencies. This 360-degree approach is intended to provide a clear and achievable roadmap for implementing agencies to optimize coordinated efforts in pursuing financial inclusion to the desired levels in the Solomon Islands.
The NFIS 3 is consistent with the broader national objectives of the Solomon Islands National Development Strategy 2016-2035 and supports the achievement of the NDS Objective 1: Sustained and inclusive economic growth. Besides, four out of six strategic objectives directly support sector specific policies on green finance, gender equality and education spearheaded by different Ministries.
The NFIS 3 reinforces the commitments made to the Maya Declaration and the Denarau Action Plan. Based on the past success and the opportunities that DFS presents, the NFIS 3 will adopt a digital approach to financial inclusion guided by the G20 High Level Principles of Digital Financial Inclusion12.
For more details a copy of the Third National Financial Inclusion Strategy (NFIS3) can be downloaded below.
The NFIS 3 is a comprehensive document with a vision and a mission focusing on five key priority areas (KPA) of access and usage of financial services, financial literacy and consumer protection, formal credit, and data & measurement framework. The KPA are supported by six strategic objectives with activities, actions, and targets.